Judge dismisses contempt allegation against television station KCOY

Judge dismisses contempt allegation against television station KCOY By Quintin Cushner/Senior Staff Writer Superior Court Judge Rodney Melville has dismissed another judge’s ruling that suggested television station KCOY was in contempt for filming jurors on the Bruce Sons case. Judge Zel Canter last month ordered KCOY, the local CBS affiliate, to show why it should not be found in contempt, fined up to $1,000 and ordered to destroy the footage. Melville tossed Canter’s order Monday, and also canceled a June 27 court hearing. “It was dismissed,” said Darrel Parker, supervising court administrator in Santa Maria, of the contempt finding. “The court received a letter of apology from KCOY. They said they had no intention of violating any order.”

Continue Reading